- Avoiding unnecessary expenditure either of money or of anything else which is to be used or consumed; avoiding waste.
1776, Adam Smith, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations, Book II, Chapter III:
- By what a frugal man annually saves, he not only affords maintenance to an additional number of productive hands, for that or the ensuing year, but [also] establishes as it were a perpetual fund for the maintenance of an equal number in all times to come.
economical, avoiding waste, thrifty
- frugal in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- frugal in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- “frugal” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).