See also: infra-red
- (uncountable) The electromagnetic radiation of a wavelength longer than visible light, but shorter than microwave radiation, having a wavelength between 700 nm and 1 mm.
- Hypernym: electromagnetic radiation
- 1962, John Nelson Howard, Transmission of the Atmosphere in the Infrared: A Review, page 3:
- Collisions of these 'transparent' molecules with the molecules that do have absorption bands in the infrared can have a considerable influence on the intensities of the observed absorption bands.
- (countable) A specific wavelength in this range.
- 1924, The American Review of Tuberculosis, page 110:
- Sonne has shown that by means of the luminous rays the temperature in the tissue may be raised to a higher degree than by the use of the infrareds.
- 2009, Alexander Grankov, Microwave Radiation of the Ocean-Atmosphere: Boundary Heat and Dynamic Interaction:
- Exposure of spectral pieces at centimeters, millimeters, and infrareds, which provide a top steadiness of the dependence "MCW radiation vs. parameter Δt" and its interannual (seasonal) dynamics.
- (countable) A device that emits infrared radiation.
- 2000, Pete Fowler, Keeps, page 62:
- In his room, he could install his infrareds without being discovered.
- 2007, Ed Morawski, Solving the Security Puzzle, page 79:
- Beams are the active counterparts of passive infrareds (PIRs). Since these are active infrareds, they require two parts: a transmitter and a receiver.
- 2020, Jenny Dorsey, The Infrared Grill Master: Recipes and Techniques for Perfectly Seared, Deliciously Smokey BBQ Every Time:
- Additionally, infrareds tend to cook food faster so there's less time to render said fat.
radiation of a wavelength between 700 nm and 1 mm
infrared (not comparable)
having the wavelength in the infrared
- cosmic infrared background
- infrared astronomy
- infrared camera
- infrared detector
- infrared divergence
- infrared film
- infrared filter
- infrared fixed point
- infrared homing
- infrared imagery
- infrared lamp
- infrared light
- infrared microscope
- infrared motion detector
- infrared multiphoton dissociation
- infrared photography
- infrared pointer
- infrared port
- infrared radiation
- infrared remote control
- infrared repellor
- infrared sauna
- infrared spectroscopy
- infrared thermography
- infrared thermometer
- infrared waves
- mediumwave infrared
- near infrared