See also: irrévérent
- Lacking respect; not having or not showing respect for or seriousness towards something that is usually treated with respect; going against conventional precepts.
- an irreverent new work
- an irreverent examination of reviewing
- 1902, Barbara Baynton, Sally Krimmer; Alan Lawson, editors, Bush Studies (Portable Australian Authors: Barbara Baynton), St Lucia: University of Queensland Press, published 1980, page 28:
- Beyond the hut a clump of myalls loomed spectral and wraith-like, and round them a gang of crows cawed noisily, irreverent of the great silence.
lacking respect or seriousness
courageous, straightforward, having mass appeal, but likely to offend
- irreverent at OneLook Dictionary Search