- (Canada) IPA(key): /l(j)uˈtɛnənt/, /lɛfˈtɛnənt/
- (India) IPA(key): /lɛfˈtɛnənt/
- (UK, General Australian, General New Zealand) IPA(key): /lɛfˈtɛnənt/, /ləˈtɛnənt/
Audio (UK) (file)
- (US) IPA(key): /l(j)uˈtɛnənt/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɛnənt
lieutenant (plural lieutenants)
- (military) The lowest commissioned officer rank or ranks in many military forces.
- (military, US) In the US Army, Air Force and Marines, second lieutenant is the rank below first lieutenant, which is below captain. Both ranks may be referred to as Lieutenant or as the complete forms of the ranks.
- (military, US, navy) A naval officer whose rank is above that of ensign in the United States Navy and below that of a lieutenant commander. There are two ranks of lieutenant: lieutenant junior grade and lieutenant.
- (military, US) A commissioned officer in the United States Coast Guard, Public Health Service, or National Atmospheric and Oceanic Administration whose rank is above that of ensign and below lieutenant commander. There are two ranks of lieutenant: lieutenant junior grade and lieutenant.
- (military, Britain) A naval officer in the Royal Navy who holds the rank above sub-lieutenant and below lieutenant commander.
- (military, Canada, Australia, New Zealand) A naval officer who holds the rank above sub-lieutenant and below lieutenant commander.
- A person who executes the plans and directives of another.
- The second-in-command of a group.
When used as a title, it is always capitalized.
- Example: Lieutenant Anne Ward.
The rank of lieutenant corresponds to pay grade O-3 in the US Navy, Coast Guard, Public Health Service, and National Atmospheric and Oceanic Administration.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
lieutenant (not comparable)
- A military grade that is junior to the grade the adjective modifies: lieutenant colonel, lieutenant general, lieutenant commander.
- Lieutenant, World Wide Words
lieutenant m (plural lieutenants)
- “lieutenant” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).