- The lowest rank of a commissioned army officer, below a lieutenant.
- The lowest rank of a commissioned officer in the United States Army, United States Air Force, or United States Marine Corps, below a first lieutenant. The rank of second lieutenant is equivalent to the naval rank of ensign.
When used as a title, it is always capitalized.
- Example: Second Lieutenant Jane Doe.
The rank corresponds to pay grade O-1. Abbreviations: 2LT (Army), 2ndLt (Marine Corps), 2d Lt (Air Force).
- ensign (traditional infantry lowest commission officer rank)
- coronet (traditional cavalry lowest commission officer rank)
(rank under lieutenant):
the rank below a lieutenant