- (UK, General Australian) IPA(key): /ˈlɪtəɹəɹi/
- (US, Canada) IPA(key): /ˈlɪtəɹɛ(ə)ɹi/, [ˈɫɪɾəɹɛ(ə)ɹi]
Audio (US) (file)
- Relating to literature.
- literary fame
- a literary history
- literary conversation
- He has long outlived his century, the term commonly fixed as the test of literary merit.
- Relating to writers, or the profession of literature.
- a literary man
- in the literary as well as fashionable world
- Knowledgeable of literature or writing.
- Appropriate to literature rather than everyday writing.
relating to literature
relating to writers, or the profession of literature
appropriate to literature rather than everyday writing
bookish — see bookish
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
- literary in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.
- literary in The Century Dictionary, New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911.