Ideogram (指事): a man with a painted or tattooed chest – original form of 紋. In current form, tattoo has vanished, so simply an outline of a man (head, outstretched arms, legs, chest). Compare 大, which has no chest.
- † Original form of 紋／纹 (wén, “mark, pattern, design, tattoo, decoration”).
- Original form of 紋／纹 (wén, “to tattoo”).
― face tattoo
- writing; literary composition; literature (Classifier: 篇 c)
― article, essay
- Short for 文讀／文读 (wéndú, “literary reading”).
- written language
- Antonyms: 語／语 (yǔ)
- civil, civilian
― civilian post
― civil official
― civilian and military
- refined; educated; cultured; intellectual
― refined, cultured
― elegant, refined
- 47th tetragram of the Taixuanjing
- † Classifier for coins.
- A surname.
- to cover
― wénguò, wènguò
― to cover one's fault
|For pronunciation and definitions of 文 – see 蚊 (“(Cantonese) yuan; dollar; buck”).|
(This character, 文, is a variant form of 蚊.)
(grade 1 “Kyōiku” kanji)
From Middle Chinese 文 (mjun, “ornate; a kind of coin; language, literature, a letter, a character”).
文 (hiragana もん, rōmaji mon)
- the mon, an old currency
- a unit of length for measuring the size of one's foot (from the way that the mon coins would be lined up and used as a kind of inch marker)
- a character, a letter
- writing, something written
- a magical spell
- (also spelled 紋) a design, a pattern
- (also spelled 紋) a 家紋 (kamon, “family crest”)
The design and crest senses are more often spelled 紋.
A later borrowing from Middle Chinese. Compare modern Min Nan reading bûn, Hakka vûn.
文 (hiragana ぶん, rōmaji bun)
- (grammar) a sentence
- writing, composition
- a design or pattern as decoration
- literature, learning, scholarship
- elegance, refinement (especially of writing or wording)
- a saying, an aphorism, a proverb
Possibly a shift from an older Middle Chinese-derived reading pun. Earlier Japanese writing was ambiguous regarding the final n sound spelled ん in modern Japanese, with this sound often spelled (and possibly pronounced) as む (mu) instead.
*/pumu/ → /pumi/ → /ɸumi/
This reading appears in the Heian period, in works such as The Tale of Genji.
文 (hiragana ふみ, rōmaji fumi)
- writing, something written
- a letter (written communication), an epistle
- (archaic) study, scholarship (especially of classical Chinese)
- a style of 家紋 (kamon, “family crest”)
Uncertain. Appears in texts from the early Heian period.
文 (hiragana あや, rōmaji aya)
- (also spelled 紋, 綾)
- a pattern, a design, especially one with diagonally crossing lines
- a diagonal crossing
- a flowery expression or turn of phrase
- a plot, a scheme
- a refrain or recurring phrase in a piece of music
- a harder vein or grain in a leaf or piece of wood or bamboo
- a stain, a blemish
- a mediator, a go-between (apparently from the way that a go-between can make the relationship more indirect and indistinct)
- a small indistinct fluctuation in a trend line
- (also spelled 綾, 絢)
- a kind of woven silk textile with a diagonally crossing pattern
- short for 綾織 (ayaori): a twill weave; someone who weaves twill
- short for 綾竹 (ayadake): in a loom, a bamboo pole placed between the heddle and the back beam or platen, used to improve the handling
- short for 綾取り (ayatori): cat's cradle
For the second group of senses, the 綾 spelling is more common.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 2006, 大辞林 (Daijirin), Third Edition (in Japanese), Tōkyō: Sanseidō, →ISBN
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 1997, 新明解国語辞典 (Shin Meikai Kokugo Jiten), Fifth Edition (in Japanese), Tōkyō: Sanseidō, →ISBN
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 1988, 国語大辞典（新装版） (Kokugo Dai Jiten, Revised Edition) (in Japanese), Tōkyō: Shogakukan