- (Latin) IPA(key): /ˌmaŋnũː ˈopus/
- (Received Pronunciation) enPR: măg'nəm ōʹpəs, IPA(key): /ˌmæɡnəm ˈəʊpəs/
- (US) enPR: măg'nəm ōʹpəs, IPA(key): /ˌmæɡnəm ˈɔʊpəs/
- A great or important work of literature, music or art, a masterpiece.
- The best, most popular, or most renowned achievement of an author or artist, representing his major life effort.
The Latin plural magna opera may be preferred in some academic and literary contexts, in popular usage the English-style plural magnum opuses is more common. The plural magnum opi, although rare and likely regarded as incorrect in formal works, does see some use.
- seminal work
- ^ The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language [Fourth Edition]
Read in another language
This page is available in 4 languages