- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈmɑɹkɪŋ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈmɑːkɪŋ/
- Rhymes: -ɑː(ɹ)kɪŋ
- The action of the verb to mark.
- 2011 January 12, Saj Chowdhury, “Liverpool 2 - 1 Liverpool”, in BBC:
- The Seasiders equalised soon after when Gary Taylor-Fletcher made the most of slack marking to slot home.
- A mark.
- 2020 May 20, Ian Prosser, “Comment”, in Rail, page 7:
- Social distancing principles form a part of the essential controls needed to reduce the spread of Coronavirus. [...] For example, measures such as signage and floor markings to provide physical separation will help.
- The characteristic colouration and patterning of an animal.
- (graph theory) Any configuration of a Petri net with a number of marks or tokens distributed across it.