megyei (“county-like”) + jogú (“of … right[s]”) + város (“city/town”)
- IPA(key): [ ˈmɛɟɛji ˌjoɡu ˈvaːroʃ]
megyei jogú város (plural megyei jogú városok)
- (law) city with county rights, (approximately) city-county, urban county, statutory city, (US) independent city, (UK) unitary authority (the second-highest level of settlements in Hungary after the capital, which meet certain criteria, currently including all 23 county seats and 5 other cities that have or formerly had a population over 50,000)
- Coordinate terms: község, nagyközség, város, főváros
- Hypernym: település
- (law) municipality, municipiu (level of administrative subdivision in Romania)
- Synonym: municípium
- For the noun, see város.
- The rest of the phrase remains unchanged.