- The quality of being modest; having a limited and not overly high opinion of oneself and one's abilities.
1907, Robert William Chambers, chapter VIII, in The Younger Set (Project Gutenberg; EBook #14852), New York, N.Y.: D. Appleton & Company, published 1 February 2005 (Project Gutenberg version), OCLC 24962326:
- At her invitation he outlined for her the succeeding chapters with terse military accuracy ; and what she liked best and best understood was avoidance of that false modesty which condescends, turning technicality into pabulum.
- Moderate behaviour; reserve.
- (specifically) Pudency, prudish avoidance of sexual explicitness.
the quality of being modest
moderate behaviour; reserve
pudency, avoidance of sexual explicitness
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.