on hold (not comparable)
- (idiomatic) Delayed; postponed; suspended.
- This project is on hold until we can get more information.
- Waiting on a telephone call.
- I have been on hold for 45 minutes listening to a recording about how important my call is to them.
- On reserve; being held for someone.
- I have a book on hold for me at the library.
- Pertaining to a telephone hold state.
- 1999, New scientist:
- Now James Kellaris, a professor of marketing at the University of Cincinnati, reports that the sexes respond differently to onhold music.