telephone (plural telephones)
- A telecommunication device (originally mechanical, and now electronic) used for two-way talking with another person (often shortened to phone).
- (US) Chinese whispers.
2013 October 27, Erik Adams, “TV: Review: THE SIMPSONS (CLASSIC): “The PTA Disbands””, in The Onion AV Club:
- And since the spring of 1995, no game of telephone has ended without some Simpsons-loving smart-ass dropping “purple monkey dishwasher” into the chain.
- blower, phone, farspeaker, Ameche (slang), dog and bone (slang), horn (informal)
- See also Wikisaurus:phone
Terms derived from telephone (noun)
a device used for two-way talking with other people
Chinese whispers — see Chinese whispers
- To (attempt to) contact someone using the telephone.
to call someone