- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈʌðəz/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈʌðɚz/
Audio (GA) (file)
others pl (plural only)
- Other people.
- I treat others like I treat myself.
- 2012, BioWare, Mass Effect 3: From Ashes (Science Fiction), Redwood City: Electronic Arts, PC, scene: Normandy SR-2, Post Priority: Tuchanka:
- Javik: Do not care what others think. Do what you must.
- Those remaining after one or more people or items have left, or done something else, or been excluded.
- Two decided to hide, the others surrendered. I kept two special jars and threw away all the others.
- 1897 December (indicated as 1898), Winston Churchill, chapter IV, in The Celebrity: An Episode, New York, N.Y.: The Macmillan Company; London: Macmillan & Co., Ltd., →OCLC, pages 58–59:
- The Celebrity, by arts unknown, induced Mrs. Judge Short and two other ladies to call at Mohair on a certain afternoon when Mr. Cooke was trying a trotter on the track. […] Their example was followed by others at a time when the master of Mohair was superintending in person the docking of some two-year-olds, and equally invisible.
Not to be confused with other's (“belonging to the other”).
those remaining after something has been excluded
- third-person singular simple present indicative form of other