outset (plural outsets)
- The beginning or initial stage of something. [from 1759]
- He agreed and understood from the outset, so don't bother explaining again.
- 2011 October 15, Michael Da Silva, “Wigan 1 - 3 Bolton”, in BBC Sport:
- Six successive defeats had left them rooted to the bottom of the Premier League table but, clearly under instructions to attack from the outset, Bolton started far the brighter.
initial stage of something
- (Internet, CSS, transitive) To cause (a design element) to extend around the outside of something else, the opposite of being inset.