Borrowing from Italian parmigiana, shortening of alla parmigiana (“in the Parmesan way”), or, as a noun, of parmigiana di melanzane/melanzane alla parmigiana, the southern Italian dish which is made with eggplant.
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˌpɑɹməˈʒɑnə/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌpɑːmɪˈdʒɑːnə/
- Rhymes: -ɑːnə
parmigiana (not comparable)
- (in combination) Any dish in which a main ingredient is combined with cheese and coated with tomato sauce before being baked.
2007 June, “Dining & Entertainment”, in Orange County Magazine, page 270:
- Specialties include veal parmigiana, chicken portobello, linguini pescatore, veal marsala, eggplant parmigiana and many others.
2009, Diane Phillips, Slow Cooker: The Best Cookbook Ever with More Than 400 Easy-to-Make Recipes, page 486:
- Traditional chicken Parmigiana with breaded chicken cutlets gets a makeover in the slow cooker. The chicken is stuffed with three cheeses and then set to simmer in an oregano-spiked tomato sauce.
parmigiana f (plural parmigiane)