See also: Piranha
- It may be from Old Tupi sanha, sainha (“tooth”), or a Guaraní cognate of the same.
- It may be from Old Tupi ánha, anhá (“cut”) (which also meant "bad" or "devil" in Tupi-Guarani).
- The full term may have been pira nya, a variant of pira'ya (“scissor-fish”), in Old Tupi.
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /pɪˈɹɑːnjə/
- (General American) IPA(key): /pɪˈɹɑnjə/, /pɪˈɹænjə/, /pɪˈɹɑnə/, /pɪˈɹænə/
piranha (plural piranhas or piranha)
- Any of the carnivorous freshwater fish living in South American rivers and belonging to the subfamily Serrasalminae.
South American fish
- Hyphenation: pi‧ran‧ha
- a piranha