- polititian (obsolete)
politician (plural politicians)
- One engaged in politics, especially an elected or appointed government official.
- Politicians should serve the country's interest.
- 1928, Roosevelt, Franklin D., The Happy Warrior Alfred E. Smith, Houghton Mifflin, OCLC 769015, OL 6719278M, page 3:
- WHEN the mental growth of a man in public life ceases, he ought, for the sake of the community, to retire. Most of our mediocre or unsuccessful Presidents were slipping downhill mentally before they took office. Lincoln, Cleveland, Roosevelt, Wilson, and Coolidge broadened and strengthened as the years went by.
By the same token, some men, unused to politics, become mere politicians when elevated to high office, while other men, brought up in the game of politics, rise superior to their environment.
- 2013 August 31, “The Satirical Verses”, in The Economist, volume 408, number 8851:
- It is not just politicians who find aspects of the explosion in satire unwelcome. Thanks to the internet, professional purveyors of the stuff face a lot more competition. For once, the joke is at their expense. A niche craft practised by a talented few has turned into a globally popular hobby, and what was once considered audacious commentary is now mainstream.
- Specifically, one who regards elected political office as a career.
- Unlike the other candidates, I'm not a politician.
- A politically active or interested person.
- Only real politicians are interested in this issue.
- 1863, “The Fountain Kloof”, in The Sunday at Home, page 211:
- You used to be such a politician. Do you remember the debates we held in Fitzroy's rooms?
- A sly or ingratiating person.
- There is a politician in every office.
- 1969, David E. Sanford, My Village, My World, page 90:
- Mrs. Dimitriou blushed at the compliment. "Antonios, you are such a politician," her husband chuckled.
- politicker (dated, colloquial or dialect)
one engaged in politics
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked
politician m (plural politicieni)
Declension of politician
|indefinite articulation||definite articulation||indefinite articulation||definite articulation|
|nominative/accusative||(un) politician||politicianul||(niște) politicieni||politicienii|
|genitive/dative||(unui) politician||politicianului||(unor) politicieni||politicienilor|