pound sand (third-person singular simple present pounds sand, present participle pounding sand, simple past and past participle pounded sand)
- (idiomatic) To engage in a futile activity.
- 2010, Eric Blehm, The Only Thing Worth Dying For: How Eleven Green Berets Forged a New Afghanistan, HarperCollins (2010), →ISBN, page 44:
- […] Without men on the ground, we'll be pounding sand."
- (idiomatic, dismissal) To go away; get lost; go to hell.
- 2003 March 15, Christopher Koch, "Showdown at the 6.0 Corral", CIO:
- "The price to us was going to be $3 million, and we had four months to pay before the Licensing 6.0 deadline. We told Microsoft to go pound sand."