See also: Promotion
- (General American) IPA(key): /pɹəˈmoʊʃən/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /pɹəˈməʊʃən/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -əʊʃən
- Hyphenation: pro‧mo‧tion
- An advancement in rank or position.
- I'll have to give myself a promotion!
- Antonym: demotion
- Dissemination of information in order to increase its popularity.
- the promotion of the idea of global warming in schools
- (marketing) An event intended to increase the reach or image of a product or brand.
- The price cut is serving as a promotion of the manufacturer's new beverage varieties.
- (chess) Transformation of a pawn into a piece (by reaching the opponent's back rank).
- Hyponym: underpromotion
- (zoology, chiefly entomology) Forward motion. (Contrast remotion.)
- 1995, Cladocera as Model Organisms in Biology, →ISBN, page 63:
- By simple promotion and remotion, assisted by some flexure and extension, the distal spines of each would reach and scratch the substratum and, on remotion, sweep coarse particles posteriorly and dorsally.
- 2008, John L. Capinera, Encyclopedia of Entomology, volume 4, →ISBN, page 3326:
- In other arthropods, promotion-remotion of the leg is accomplished at other joints. For example, in spiders promotion-remotion occurs at the coxa-trochanter joint, insects utilize the body-coxa joint, and […]
Derived terms edit
Related terms edit
advancement in position
dissemination of positive information
event intended to increase the reach or image of a product or brand
Alternative forms edit
- promo (advertising; discount; year group)
promotion f (plural promotions)
- promotion (career advancement)
- promotion, advertising
- Ils seront là demain pour faire la promotion de leur dernier album.
- They will be here tomorrow to promote their latest album.
- special offer, discount, special, sale
- Synonym: promo
- Les pantalons sont en promotion, profitez-en !
- The trousers (UK) or pants (US) are on special offer; make the most of it!
- school year, school or university year group
- Synonym: promo
- Je fais partie de la promotion 2010–2011, et toi ?
- (please add an English translation of this usage example)