- IPA(key): /pɹɛtɛktɪv/, /pɹoʊtɛktɪv/
Audio (Southern England) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɛktɪv
- Hyphenation: pro‧tec‧tive
- Serving or intended to protect.
- The fighter dropped into a protective stance.
- The castle's moat served a protective function.
- 2004, Mickey Baskett, Fabulous Painted Furniture, page 13:
- Pour a solvent such as paint thinner, mineral spirits, or a liquid sandpaper product in a metal can or enamel bowl. Wear protective gloves.
- Wishing to protect; defensive of somebody or something.
- Mother bears are famously protective of their cubs.
Derived terms edit
- overcurrent protective device
- personal protective equipment
- protective custody
- protective order
- protective reaction
serving, intended or wishing to protect
protective (plural protectives)
Something that protects