A form of rauda (“roach (fish sp.)”).
- genitive singular form of rauda
- nominative plural form of rauda
- vocative plural form of rauda
- accusative plural form of rauda
From the same stem as raudāt (“to cry”), made into a (plural) 4th-declension feminine noun.
raudas f (4th declension)
- crying, weeping (shedding of tears, usually accompanied by uneven breathing (sobbing) and unarticulated sounds, caused by one's emotional state)
- skaļas raudas ― loud crying
- aizturēt raudas ― to hold the crying, the tears
- nāk raudas ― crying, tears are coming
- gribu aizturēt raudas, bet tās laužas ārā no sirds ― I want to hold (my) crying, but it is coming from the depths of my heart
- ja zīdainis raud īsi pirms barošanas, var mierīgi viņam ļaut dažas minūtes pakliegties, iemesls raudām te ir zināms ― if the baby cries just before feeding, one can let him shout a few minutes, the reason for the crying is known
Declension of raudas (4th declension)
A form of the dialectal adjective rauds (“red, reddish yellow”).
- (dialectal form) genitive singular feminine form of rauds
- (dialectal form) nominative plural feminine form of rauds
- (dialectal form) accusative plural feminine form of rauds