rub off (third-person singular simple present rubs off, present participle rubbing off, simple past and past participle rubbed off)
- To cause to come off by rubbing
- We had to rub off all the graffiti from the wall
- To clean by rubbing.
- 1922, Margery Williams, The Velveteen Rabbit
- He was wet through with the dew and quite earthy from diving into the burrows the Boy had made for him in the flower bed, and Nana grumbled as she rubbed him off with a corner of her apron.
- (idiomatic) to be transferred with little or no effort