- scrutinise (Commonwealth)
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈskɹuːtɨnaɪz/
- (General American) enPR: skro͞otʹn-īz, IPA(key): /ˈskɹutn̩ˌaɪz/
Audio (AU) (file)
- Hyphenation: scru‧ti‧nize
- (transitive) To examine something with great care.
- to scrutinize the conduct or motives of individuals
- whose votes they were obliged to scrutinize
- G. W. Cable
- Those pronounced him youngest who scrutinized his face the closest.
- (transitive) To audit accounts etc in order to verify them.
to examine with great care