See also: ségrégation
- The setting apart or separation of things or people, as a natural process, a manner of organizing people that may be voluntary or enforced by law.
- (Can we clean up(+) this sense?) (biology) The Mendelian Law of Segregation related to genetic transmission or geographical segregation of various species.
- (mineralogy) Separation from a mass, and gathering about centers or into cavities at hand through cohesive or adhesive attraction or the crystallizing process.
- (politics, public policy) The separation of people (geographically, residentially, or in businesses, public transit, etc) into racial or other categories (e.g. religion, sex).
- (sociology) The separation of people (geographically, residentially, or in businesses, public transit, etc) into various categories which occurs due to social forces (culture, etc).
- (genetics) The separation of a pair of chromatids or chromosomes during mitosis and meiosis
setting apart or separation
politics, public policy — See also translations at apartheid
sociology — See also translations at apartheid