- Rhymes: -ɪpɪt
sippet (plural sippets)
- A small piece of something, especially a piece of toast or fried bean eaten with soup or gravy.
- 1685, Robert May, The accomplisht cook:
- Then have sippets finely carved, and some slices of French bread in the bottom of the dish, […] .
- 1764, Elizabeth Moxon, English Housewifery Exemplified:
- Garnish your dish with sippets, lemon, and a few pickled mushrooms.
- 1859-1861, Mrs. Isabella Beeton, The Book of Household Management:
- Serve with small sippets of bread fried in butter.