sniper (plural snipers)
- A person using long-range small arms for precise attacks from a concealed position.
- Any attacker using a non-contact weapon against a specific target from a concealed position.
- One who shoots from a concealed position.
- 1874, Richard John Batt, The Maryland Continentals, 1780-1781:
- The British, having cleared the open field, now faced the problem of advancing through the trees into the sniper fire of several hundred Virginia militia.
- One who criticizes.
- (ice hockey slang) A player who specializes in scoring goals.
- Alexander Ovechkin is often regarded as the greatest sniper of his generation.
a person using long-range small arms for precise attacks from a concealed position
any attacker using a non-contact weapon against a specific target from a concealed position
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
sniper m (plural snipers)
- sniper (person, weapon)