- Probing introspection, a critical consideration of one's conscience, especially motives and values.
- After much soul-searching I decided to confess.
- You’d better do some serious soul-searching before you decide to leave her.
2016 October 24, Owen Gibson, “Is the unthinkable happening – are people finally switching the football off?”, in The Guardian, London:
- And yet, arresting figures suggesting a decline in early season ratings have prompted an outbreak of soul‑searching at those broadcasters and head‑scratching among analysts.
2010 December 29, Chris Whyatt, “Chelsea 1 - 0 Bolton”, in BBC:
- Much soul-searching is going on at the west London club who, just seven weeks ago, were five points clear at the top of the table and playing with the verve with which they won the title last season.
1974, Jerald terHorst, 1974 resignation letter of Jerald terHorst:
- So it is with great regret, after long soul-searching, that I must inform you that I cannot in good conscience support your decision to pardon former President Nixon even before he has been charged with the commission of any crime.