- The suburbs and all that pertains to or characterizes them; the suburbs as represented or encapsulated by their typical qualities or characteristics. [from 19th c.]
- 1986, “Suburbia”, in Please, performed by Pet Shop Boys:
- Let's take a ride and run with the dogs tonight / In suburbia / You can't hide, run with the dogs tonight / In suburbia
- 2012, Andrew Martin, Underground Overground: A passenger's history of the Tube, Profile Books, →ISBN, page 170:
- In essence, Betjeman's poetry and prose reveal that he loved the inter-war suburbia of Metroland more than the suburbia it had evolved into by the 1970s, but he loved the countryside more than either.
the suburbs and all that characterizes them