- A brief electronic message sent between mobile phones.
- 2011 December 14, Steven Morris, “Devon woman jailed for 168 days for killing kitten in microwave”, in Guardian:
- After the kitten had died, Robins sent a text message to Knutton saying: "Remember the saying: 'What goes around comes around?' It has started already to bite you in the arse. The cat? Karma."
- 2012 December 1, “An internet of airborne things”, in The Economist, volume 405, number 8813, page 3 (Technology Quarterly):
- A farmer could place an order for a new tractor part by text message and pay for it by mobile money-transfer. A supplier many miles away would then take the part to the local matternet station for airborne dispatch via drone.
- 2018, James Lambert, “A multitude of ‘lishes’: The nomenclature of hybridity”, in English World-Wide, page 10:
- Similarly, Fingilish usually refers to transliterated Farsi in chatrooms, text messages, and the like.
a brief electronic message
- (transitive or intransitive) To transmit a text message.
- I told him to text message you when he's finished.
- Please text message the directions to me.
- Just text message me the information.
- Stop text messaging during class time.
- She's been text messaging all afternoon.