- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /juːˌtɪlɪˈtɛːɹi.ən/
- (General American, Mary–marry–merry merger) IPA(key): /juˌtɪləˈtɛɹi.ən/
- of or relating to utility
- (ethics) pertaining to utilitarianism
- practical and functional, present for use, not just for show.
- 2020 December 2, Anthony Lambert, “Reimagining Railway Stations”, in Rail, pages 38-39:
- These have helped develop a recognition in the industry that bland utilitarian stations do not provide an attractive welcome to the railway, that passengers value stations of character as well as convenience, and that these qualities encourage greater use of trains.
pertaining to utilitarianism
practical and functional, not just for show
utilitarian (plural utilitarians)
Someone who practices or advocates utilitarianism.