utility (plural utilities)
- The state or condition of being useful; usefulness.
- Something that is useful.
- (economics) The ability of a commodity to satisfy needs or wants; the satisfaction experienced by the consumer of that commodity.
- (philosophy) Well-being, satisfaction, pleasure, or happiness.
- (business, finance) A service provider, such as an electric company or water company; or, the securities of such a provider.
- (computing) A software program designed to perform a single task or a small range of tasks, often to help manage and tune computer hardware, an operating system or application software.
- I've bought a new disk utility that can recover deleted files.
- (sports) The ability to play multiple positions.
- Having to do with, or owned by, a service provider.
- utility line; utility bill
- Designating of a room in a house or building where mechanical equipment is installed; such as a furnace, water tank/heater, circuit breaker, and/or air conditioning unit; and often equipped with hookups for laundry equipment (washer/dryer).
- utility room
state or condition of being useful
something that is useful
economics: ability of a commodity to satisfy needs or wants
business: service provider
computing: software program with specific task