See also: variétal
varietal (not comparable)
- (biology) Pertaining to a distinct variety of organism.
- Made from a single specific variety (especially of grapes in wine).
- (linguistics) Of or relating to a variety of a language.
- 2018, James Lambert, “A multitude of ‘lishes’: The nomenclature of hybridity”, in English World-Wide, page 2:
- An assessment of a selection of regional, varietal, and slang dictionaries also found that little lexicographical effort has been extended to these terms.
varietal (plural varietals)
- A wine made primarily from or exclusively from a single variety of grape, which carries the name of that grape.
- The varietal Merlot has rich red color and a robust fruity taste. Cabernet Sauvignon is a varietal that descended from Cabernet Franc and Sauvignon Blanc.
- (by extension) A coffee made primarily from or exclusively from a single variety of coffee bean.
varietal m (plural varietales)
varietal (plural varietales)