voiture (plural voitures)
- A carriage; a vehicle, now chiefly in French contexts.
- 1751, [Tobias] Smollett, chapter 88, in The Adventures of Peregrine Pickle […], volume III, London: Harrison and Co., […], published 1781, OCLC 316121541:
- Having consulted with my friends, about the safest method of travelling through Flanders, I was persuaded to take places in the public Voiture […] .
- 1834, Michael Scott, Tom Cringle's Log (volume 1, page 33)
- When the voiture stopped in the village, there seemed to be a nonplusation, to coin a word for the nonce, between my friend and his sisters.
- 1919, Ronald Firbank, Valmouth, Duckworth, hardback edition, page 101
- As in a stupor, forging headlong forward she was overtaken in the vicinity of Valopolis by the evening voiture of Madame Mimosa, the lady's monogram, "Kiki," wreathed in true-love-knots, emblazoning triply the doors and rear.
voiture f (plural voitures)
- car (motorized vehicle)
- Synonym: (Quebec) char
- (historical) car (wheeled vehicle usually pulled by a horse)
- car (wagon)