zigeuner (plural zigeuners)
"Zigeuner" is an imprecise term derived from a Greek word for "untouchable". It is considered offensive by many Romani. In Germany, the Central Council of German Sinti and Roma rejects the use of the corresponding German term, "Zigeuner", as a designation for the Roma, regarding it as racist and as having been discredited by the Nazis' use of it.
See also the note about Zigeuner.
- ^ 2004, Viorel Achim, The Roma in Romanian History (Bucharest), page 9
- ^ 2007, Jean-Pierre Liégeois, Roma In Europe, page 17
- ^ 1993, Struggling for Ethnic Identity: The Gypsies of Hungary (published by Human Rights Watch), page 1
- (sometimes offensive) Gypsy, member of the Roma
- (sometimes offensive) gypsy, person who leads a nomadic life
See the note on Zigeuner.