|(a prefix used before the surname of a person or a numeral indicating the order of birth of the children in a family or to indicate affection or familiarity); old (of people); venerable (person)||
outside; in addition; foreign; external
|simp. and trad.
- (colloquial, poss. pejorative or offensive) A foreigner.
- (figuratively) A "banana", a person of Chinese ethnicity or nationality who acts western or does not understand some aspect of Chinese culture.
The term is othering and controversial, as it may be perceived as racist. It is, however, not necessarily derogatory.
- (polite) 外國人/外国人, 外賓/外宾, 外國朋友/外国朋友
- (pejorative) 鬼子, 洋鬼子
- (pejorative, chiefly Cantonese) 鬼佬
- (pejorative, chiefly Hakka) 紅毛/红毛, 紅毛人/红毛人, 紅毛猴/红毛猴, 紅毛鬼子/红毛鬼子