From Miami wimihsoorita ("the people who have dugout canoes"), a term for the inhabitants of the area around the Missouri River.
- (General American) IPA(key): /mɨˈzɝi/
Audio (GenAm) (file)
- (Southern US) IPA(key): /məˈzɝə/ or as in GenAm
Audio (Southern US) (file)
- A state of the United States of America Capital Jefferson City; largest city: Kansas City: Postal abbreviation: MO
- The longest river in the United States, flowing from Montana to become a tributary of the Mississippi at Saint Louis.
- A Native American tribe that originally lived in the Great Lakes region of United States.
- (historical) An organized territory in the United States during the nineteenth century.
- There is much dispute over the "correct" pronunciation of Missouri (half the state says /mɨˈzɝi/, half says /məˈzɝə/). Both are acceptable.
- (river): Big Muddy
- from Missouri
- Missouri canary
- Missouri currant
- Missouri gooseberry
- Missouri gourd
- Missouri primrose
- Missouri sucker
- Missouri toothpick