See also: Cricket
cricket (plural crickets)
- An insect in the order Orthoptera, especially family Gryllidae, that makes a chirping sound by rubbing its wing casings against combs on its hind legs.
- A wooden footstool.
- A signalling device used by soldiers in hostile territory to identify themselves to a friendly in low visibility conditions
- A relatively small area of a roof constructed to divert water from a horizontal intersection of the roof with a chimney, wall, expansion joint or other projection.
- (US slang, in the plural) Absolute silence; no communication. See crickets.
- (sports) A game played outdoors with bats and a ball between two teams of eleven, popular in England and many Commonwealth countries.
- (chiefly UK) An act that is fair and sportsmanlike, derived from the sport.
- That player's foul wasn't cricket!
The sense "An act that is fair and sportsmanlike" is always used in negative constructions and is not restricted to sports usage.
- (An act that is unfair or unsportsmanlike): not cricket
fair and sportsmanlike act
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- kricket (less common)
cricket c (uncountable)
- cricket (sport)
Declension of cricket
Read in another language
This page is available in 36 languages