Last modified on 2 December 2013, at 06:23
hawk + -ish
hawkish (comparative more hawkish, superlative most hawkish)
- Supportive of warlike foreign policy; bellicose; inclined toward military action.
- The Prime Minister could count on the support of a hawkish majority in Parliament to support the invasion.
- Favouring increasing interest rates; inclined towards increasing interest rates.
- The Federal Reserve's recent statement on the slowing of inflation was interpreted as hawkish by the market.
supportive of warlike foreign policy
- French: bagarreur (fr) m, batailleur (fr) m
- German: falkenartig, wucherisch, militaristisch
- Russian: воинственный (ru) (voínstvennyj), ура-патриотический (ru) (urá-patriotíčeskij), милитаристский (ru) (militarístskij), ястребиный (ru) (jastrebínyj)