portion (plural portions)
- An allocated amount.
- (transitive) To divide into amounts, as for allocation to specific purposes.
- (transitive) To endow with a portion or inheritance.
- Him portioned maids, apprenticed orphans, blest. — Alexander Pope.
- Particularly used as portion out.
- Relatively formal, compared to the more informal divide, divide up, or the casual divvy, divvy up.
- portion off
- portion out
- portion in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- portion in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
portion f (plural portions)
Declension of portion