Audio (US) (file)
transitive (not comparable)
- Making a transit or passage.
- Affected by transference of signification.
- (grammar, of a verb) Taking an object or objects.
- The English verb "to notice" is a transitive verb, because we say things like "She noticed a problem".
- (set theory, of a relation on a set) Having the property that if an element x is related to y and y is related to z, then x is necessarily related to z.
- "Is an ancestor of" is a transitive relation: if Alice is an ancestor of Bob, and Bob is an ancestor of Carol, then Alice is an ancestor of Carol.
- (grammar, of a verb: taking an object): intransitive
- (set theory, of a relation on a set): intransitive, nontransitive
making a transit or passage
affected by transference of signification
grammar, of a verb: taking an object or objects
set theory, of a relation on a set
- feminine form of transitif
- feminine form of transitivo