(uncommon “Hyōgai” kanji)
Probably related to verb 千早ぶ (chihayabu, “to move or act ferociously, with terrible godly power”), itself an alteration from 逸早ぶ (ichihayabu, “to move or act quickly and strongly”), deriving from adjective 逸早し (ichihayashi, “strong and fast; extremely fast”).
襅 (hiragana ちはや, rōmaji chihaya)
- a cloth or cord used to tie back the sleeves of a robe, primarily used by women to get the sleeves out of the way for work such as shrine ceremonies or kitchen work
- a kind of ceremonial overcoat with a long white hem worn by the sweeper or branch-holder in certain Shintō ceremonies
- a kind of sleeveless vest or waistcoat used in kabuki or 人形浄瑠璃 (ningyō jōruri, “puppet theater”)
- ^ 1988, 国語大辞典（新装版） (Kokugo Dai Jiten, Revised Edition) (in Japanese), Tōkyō: Shogakukan
- 2006, 大辞林 (Daijirin), Third Edition (in Japanese), Tōkyō: Sanseidō, ↑ISBN