|Kanji in this term|
|はこ > ばこ
- (linguistics) a reading pattern for kanji-compound words, using the Chinese-derived on'yomi for the first portion, and the native Japanese kun'yomi for the second portion
Defined in some sources as applying only to two-character terms. Other sources define this as also applying more broadly to any single word where the first portion is read with the on and the second portion with the kun. No sources define this as applying to multi-word terms.
- Contrast with 湯桶読み (yutōyomi), using the native Japanese kun'yomi for the first kanji, and the Chinese-derived on'yomi for the second kanji.
- 音読み (on'yomi)
- 訓読み (kun'yomi)
- 2006, 大辞林 (Daijirin), Third Edition (in Japanese), Tōkyō: Sanseidō, →ISBN
- ^ 1998, NHK日本語発音アクセント辞典 (NHK Japanese Pronunciation Accent Dictionary) (in Japanese), Tōkyō: NHK, →ISBN
- ^ 1997, 新明解国語辞典 (Shin Meikai Kokugo Jiten), Fifth Edition (in Japanese), Tōkyō: Sanseidō, →ISBN
- ^ 1988, 国語大辞典（新装版） (Kokugo Dai Jiten, Revised Edition) (in Japanese), Tōkyō: Shogakukan