- (Internet slang) Encloses a word or phrase to indicate emphasis; especially, used in plain-text contexts to simulate italics or boldface.
- This is a *big* problem.
- 2020 May 26, “The White House is getting *very* worried about the Senate majority”, in CNN (in English), retrieved 2 October 2020:
- (chiefly Internet slang) Encloses an interpretation; an action described as if it were actually happening, in English typically written in the third-person.
- I have something for you! *gives her a cookie*
- *stares absentmindedly at the wall*
- *internal screaming*