From Latin Genua, as the city was known by the ancient Ligurians; probably from the Ligurian word for "knee", from Proto-Indo-European *ǵnéwo- (“knee”), a thematic derivative of Proto-Indo-European *ǵónu, in this sense "angle," from its geographical position, thus akin to Geneva.
- A province of Liguria, Italy.
- A city and the capital of the province of Genoa, and also the capital of Liguria.
- A placename in the US and elsewhere.
The pronunciations with the stress on the second syllable are considered nonstandard.
- Wikipedia article on Genoa, the Italian city
- Wikipedia disambiguation page on the places called Genoa in other countries