Hello, welcome to Wiktionary, and thank you for your contributions so far. Here are a few good links for newcomers:
- How to edit a page is a concise list of technical guidelines to the wiki format we use here: how to, for example, make text boldfaced or create hyperlinks. Feel free to practice in the sandbox. If you would like a slower introduction we have a short tutorial.
- Entry layout explained (ELE) is a detailed policy documenting how Wiktionary pages should be formatted. All entries should conform to this standard, the easiest way to do this is to copy exactly an existing page for a similar word.
- Our Criteria for inclusion (CFI) define exactly which words Wiktionary is interested in including. There is also a list of things that Wiktionary is not for a higher level overview.
- If you already have some experience with editing our sister project Wikipedia, then you may find our guide to Wikipedia users useful.
- The FAQ aims to answer most of your remaining questions, and there are several help pages that you can browse for more information.
- We have discussion rooms in which you can ask any question about Wiktionary or its entries, a glossary of our technical jargon, and some hints for dealing with the more common communication issues.
Also, please add a BabelBox to your userpage so we can help you with the languages you'll be working in.
I hope you enjoy editing here and being a Wiktionarian! If you have any questions, bring them to the Wiktionary:Information desk, or ask me on my talk page. If you do so, please sign your posts with four tildes: ~~~~ which automatically produces your username and the current date and time.
How can I help?Edit
I agree with Wikitiki's comments generally, but I'd like to restore some of the openness that Wiktionary had before we added so many templates that help experienced regular contributors, but discourage others, even veterans who've simply been away for a while. Unfortunately I don't know how to do so.
In the meantime, you can ask me any questions you'd like, recognizing that I am no linguist, though I have been reading a fair amount of linguistics and lexicography. My particular interest is taxonomic names, which I gravitated to because no one else was making enough contributions of taxa to be able to interfere with my own vision of what such entries should be. I suppose it must seem very complicated to work in the area, but I welcome contributors and will provide full, perhaps overlong, explanations of what I do. I certainly contribute to discussions and sometimes try to work on improvement of basic English words, though not so much to the more grammaticized ones, which seem beyond my paygrade or at least to require a major change of mindset from what else I do.
Remembering (misremmbering?) my own learning experience, I'd say that I learned mostly by copying entire entries or features of entries that I liked and by engaging in cleanup tasks, minimal changes that brought entries into conformity with then-prevailing standards. DCDuring TALK 19:27, 16 December 2015 (UTC)
- Very kind of you to offer help, DCDuring. I appreciate it! You described how I've been approaching this over the past few years, copying entire entries, doing cleanup edits here and there, and lots of trial and error using the preview. That is how I've gotten by so far, much of it fumbling in the dark. But when I've tried everything I can and still keep hitting a wall, that's when I cry out for help. Thank you! --Johanna-Hypatia (talk) 19:39, 17 December 2015 (UTC)
Would you mind not leaving sarcastic comments in your edit summaries?Edit
Re:  I didn't leave a sarcastic comment when I undid your erroneous edit to the transliteration that did not match the script, so please do me the same favour. Thank you. Kaixinguo~enwiktionary (talk) 07:32, 15 September 2018 (UTC)
Do you have a source for your Arabic derivation? I strongly suspect you made it up yourself because if you had indeed looked it up, you must at least have found the standard etymology alongside the Arabic one and you made no mention of it. Hence, I've deleted your stuff. If there were a reliable source, it could be added as an alternative.