See also: Hyperlink
hyper- + link, or a blend of hypertext + link
hyperlink (plural hyperlinks) (dated)
- Some text or a graphic in an electronic document that can be activated to display another document or trigger an action.
- (by extension) The URL or other address that defines a hyperlink's target or function.
- Copy the hyperlink and paste it into an email.
- → Danish: hyperlink
link from one electronic document to another — See also translations at link
area on a Web page
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked
hyperlink (third-person singular simple present hyperlinks, present participle hyperlinking, simple past and past participle hyperlinked)
- (of a hypertext document) To point to another document by a hyperlink.
- 2001, Barbara Notarius; Gail Sforza Brewer, Open Your Own Bead & Breakfast, 4th edition, John Wiley and Sons, page 165:
- Their Web page hyperlinks to your Web site.
- To add a hyperlink to a document.
- 2004 April 15, Gregory M. Lamb, “Blogs: Here to Stay - With Changes”, in Christian Science Monitor:
- One valuable thing a blogger often does is hyperlink to magazine and newspaper stories or other interesting blogs, she says.
- To use a hyperlink to jump to a document.
- 1999, John Graubert; Jill Coleman, “Consumer Protection and Antitrust Enforcement at the Speed of Light: The FTC Meets the Internet”, in Canada–United States Law Journal, volume 25, page 275:
- Indeed, what consumers will see on a Web site is likely to vary depending on the point or Web page at which they access the Web site, how many pages they “hyperlink” through when reviewing the site, and how much of the page containing the disclosure is displayed by consumers' Web browsers without requiring additional scrolling.
to point to another document by a hyperlink
to add a hyperlink to a document
to use a hyperlink to jump to a document
hyperlink n (definite singular hyperlinket, indefinite plural hyperlinks or hyperlink, definite plural hyperlinkene)