apples and oranges
Audio (AU) (file)
- (idiomatic) A comparison of items that, however categorically similar, is inapt; an incompatible equation
- It's apples and oranges. You can't convert square meters to linear inches.
- Comparing the grades of English students to those of engineering students is like trying to compare apples and oranges.
- Used other than with a figurative or idiomatic meaning: see apples, and, oranges.
- apples to apples, apples with apples
- apples to apples, oranges to oranges
- oranges with oranges (rare)