- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ɪnˈkɒmp(ə)rəbəl/, /ɪnkəmˈparəbəl/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ɪnˈkɒmp(ə)rəbəl/, /ɪnkəmˈpɛrəbəl/
- So much better than another as to be beyond comparison; matchless or unsurpassed.
- (rare) Not able to be compared.
- Using more or most with incomparable, though often disapproved, is relatively common. Such uses may once have only been accepted for poetic effect, but are now widespread.
- Despite its apparently absolute meaning, incomparable is often used as if there were degrees of incomparability, occurring with adverbs such as so and very.
not able to be compared — see uncomparable
incomparable (plural incomparables)
- “incomparable” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).