From Old Portuguese arqueiro, from Late Latin arcārius, alteration of arcuārius (“of bows”), from Latin arcus (“bow”). Corresponds to arco + -eiro.
arqueiro m (plural arqueiros, feminine arqueira, feminine plural arqueiras)
- (military) archer; bowman (soldier armed with a bow)
- Synonyms: flecheiro, frecheiro, (all less common) seteiro
- (archery) archer (person who practices the sport of archery)
- (Brazil, soccer) goalkeeper (player who guards the goal)
- Synonyms: (Brazil, more common) goleiro, (Portugal) guarda-redes